Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ADW02
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
Canon's answer to the Sony a7r?
2 months ago

I'm currently using a Canon 7D for landscape photography, which is now my primary shooting interest. Looking for greater detail, I'm considering going FF. Jumping into Canon's FF camera bodies shouldn't be terribly difficult, since I'm using a number of L lenses, but I'm wondering about picture quality issues. With that, I'd like to ask some questions in comparing camera bodies that I'm hoping someone here may be able to address.

First of all, I've never been able to take my own FF pictures, and so don't know how they would compare to those of the 7D for detail, noise and dynamic range. (For the record, as an amateur landscape photographer I would be shooting in ISO 100 whenever possible, and so I don't think noise would ordinarily be a problem. Naturally, I would enjoy the low-light advantages of FF.) Assuming that FF is indeed a big qualitative advantage over crop sensor technology, I have to wonder what might be the best FF camera available today in the 35mm affordable price range. And so I'd like to ask...

1. For those of you who have seen images from the Canon 5DMkIII and Sony a7r, which do you think  provides the best overall picture for landscape photography?

2. A purely speculative question...I'm hesitant to buy the Sony, because while it is certainly much smaller and lighter than any of Canon's FF bodies, it also appears to be more fragile and less dependable in extreme conditions. And so, if the Sony's 36MP sensor does indeed provide superior image resolution to Canon's FF bodies, when might Canon respond, and with what type of body?

For the time being, my feeling is that Canon will release a high-MP camera body within the next 12 to 15 months. If so, I'm sure that it will be solidly built, rugged and totally reliable, and I would like to think it would be priced at around $3,500 USD. Do you think I'm being realistic, and if not, what do you think Canon's future plans might hold?

I'm asking all of these questions because I'd like to have higher quality imaging without investing in a system that will be obsolete too soon, and I'd like to have a camera body that I know will stand up to rugged outdoor conditions. Please forgive me if these questions have been asked before, and thanks to everyone for their opinions and advice.

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow