Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mabellucyhays
Junior MemberPosts: 47Gear list
Like?
Auto ISO?
4 months ago

I have a 7D. I used a 40D for several years, mostly on the running man mode. When the 70D came out I was set to buy it and decided the 7D was a better fit. (At this time I do NO video.)

My goal is to thoroughly learn how to use this camera. Ninety percent of my pics are outdoor. Over half of those are moving subjects.... Wildlife and livestock.

At this point I am trying to learn when to use AV or TV.

I think I finally learned aperture and how to get shallow DOF. But I am a bit stuck on ISO. On a bright sunny day I chose ISO 800. I was trying to take action and always bought 400 film so decided 800 would be better. After being told I was wrong the next day tried 100. Seemed good enough but some of the shots taken at the same spot were dark. One sheep was great and sheep 10 feet away was dark.

Question: should I take some of the advice that says use auto ISO until I get good at my DOF and am getting action shots I am happy with??

Question: where is the best source for learning how to use the ISO?

It took me FOREVER to get aperture stuck in my head. I got some great direction from dpreview and think I finally pretty much understand it. Now if I can understand ISO... or for now use auto ISO???

Thanks, this is a great place to have!

mabellucyhays's gear list:mabellucyhays's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow