ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wooolooo
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Renewing my gear (canon to lumix)
3 months ago

Hey,

I am a semi-pro videographer in the field of sports, looking forward to work more, and get paid more for my assignments. I also need to be able to shoot good quality stils and timelapses.

So far, I was trying to be as "cheap" as possible on the gear I use... Like a small business, keeping the expenses low, to make sure I benefit from my work and don't spend it all on gear.

Here's my current gear :

• Canon 550D (t2i) with Magic Lantern, battery grip and black silicone protection : It totally does the job as far as looking pro.
  • Sigma 8 - 16
  • Canon EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS
  • Canon 55 - 250 EF-S IS
  • Canon 50mm 1.8

I've been shooting with Canon 550D since it was out in 2010 and it always did the job... I also have a couple of compact Sony cameras (HX9V and HX50V) that has been so usefull it's hard to admit

I sure have tripods, a flycam, all kind of crazy mounts...

So far I was happy but then I red about the GH4 : 4K (ability to reframe in post) and 1080@96fps are the features that makes me feel like I need it. And all the other features are really a step-up from my current gear...

So I started to list all lenses and accessories I need, check online for second hand lenses, and I'm going to spend around 4,000 euros ($5,500) total on the MFT system... Ouch. Selling my current Canon gear is only going to get me 1,400... But still I feel like I need to step up to stay in the game, increase my production quality and hopefully it'll pay back quickly.

What do you guys think of the following kit ? I mostly shoot outdoor, sports, lifestyle, and interviews. Does it sounds to you like a good investment or do you have better idea ?

• Lumix GH4
  • Transcend 128 GB
  • Transcend 64GB
  • 7-14 Lumix f4
  • 12 – 35 OIS 2.8 Lumix
  • 45-175 PZ OIS 
  • 14mm f2.5
  • 20mm f1.7
  • 58mm ND Variable Heliopan
  • 46 to 58mm step-up ring
  • Aftermarket battery grip
  • 3 aftermarket batteries
  • Aftermarket Dual battery charger
  • Second hand Lumix GF2 (it's only 80€ - I plan on putting a hacked firmware to use it as a backup camera)

Thanks a lot for reading !

Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow