Started May 13, 2014 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
james laubscher
Senior MemberPosts: 1,193
Like?
Flash consistent exposure problems with Sigma EF 530 DG Super
May 13, 2014

Hi all, I'm looking for some guidance from anyone using the Sigma 530 model listed above.

I've recently been using it with a Pentax KR using the flash in PTTL and the camera in P mode.

At the time that this flash became popular for Pentax users, there was a lot of writing about inconsistent performance or inexplicable performance i.e. the flash would not perform as expected. I recall a night shot outdoors test where its range was limited to about 10 meters in PTTL mode but increased to 15 meters when used in manual mode (flash output was set to max.).

My current problem is that, especially with subjects close by (e.g. 4 ft. distance), the camera and or flash gets the exposure right and then totally over-exposes for the next few shots.  The subject in question fills the VF i.e there are no dark areas that the flash is trying to illuminate. Camera settings and lens focal length don't change, only the amount of flash output changes. The distance scale on the flash LCD indicates a working distance down to 2 foot so the subject is within the range of the flash.

I'm assuming there is something wrong with the flash but since the camera and flash work as a unit, it could also be something wrong with camera electronics. Which is it? I'm guessing it is the flash but is there any way of establishing this? The inconsistency of the problem is a nuisance and effectively renders the flash useless for social functions, such as the birthday party I was asked to photograph last week, as I can't rely on it.

Any experienced suggestions will be welcome.

-- hide signature --

jamesza

Pentax K-r
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow