Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bevinb
New MemberPosts: 6Gear list
Like?
Micro 4/3 vs APS-C and focal length
7 months ago

Hi, I am new to the forums, wouldn't say I'm a beginner but don't have a great grasp of all the technical aspects of digital cameras....I want to buy a camera with a larger sensor, and I like to take pictures of wildlife, birds, etc. so want some significant zoom.  In the past I had Fuji HS-20 and before that Lumix FZ-5.  I have a Sony A57 with a 55-200 zoom but I find it too bulky to carry and its only 300 mm 35 mm equivalent, I'd like lots more...which is going to weigh even more....My HS-20 had 750mm which was nice.  My question has to do with comparing the APS-C vs the micro 4/3. Since the APS-C is 64% or so larger than the M4/3 does that mean that an image taken say at 200 mm (so 300mm equiv.) on a camera with the APS-C will be 64% larger than one taken at 150 (300 mm equiv.)  with M4/3?  Not sure if I am wording my question right, what I am getting at because the APS-C is a larger sensor, will I effectively get the same detail at a shorter focal length than I will with the M4/3?  I'll stop for now and see if anyone can make sense of my question! 

Thanks, Bevin

bevinb's gear list:bevinb's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A57 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Sony DT 55-200mm F4-5.6 SAM Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow