Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sphen
Forum MemberPosts: 95
Like?
Help me pick a compact camera please.
4 months ago

Hey guys, I'm looking for a compact camera to use around work.  Unfortunately my dslr is too big and bulky with all the lenses and so I need something smaller to carry around.  I work all over the place taking photos for insurance companies and other contractors.  The camera doesn't have to be pocket size, just compact enough to make carrying easy with all my other gear (flashlight, notepads, tablet, rulers, etc...).  I would also like it to double for some personal use on the side for those days where the dslr stays at home.  It's not often but it does happen.

Here is a priority list of features, highest priority to lowest:

- Flexibility: The camera has to cover a wide variety of situations.  Mostly indoors but sometime outside as well.  Sometimes macro, sometimes zoom (don't really need super zoom).

- Low light capable: I'm in a lot of industrial settings where lighting isn't always ideal.  I don't have time to carry around a tri-pod so hand held low light capable is important.

- Image quality: There is the possibility that these photos end up in court cases etc...having said that they aren't being made into posters so just need to be good, not great.  For the odd personal use the quality is important to me.

- View finder: I'd prefer a viewfinder, maybe I'm just old fashioned that way but I have a hard time using just the LCD.  It just feels wrong.

- Movie mode: Not critical but preferred as an option.

So I've been sort of looking at the G16, the sony rx100 and the fuji x20.  I handled them all in the store but ultimately find the G16, despite the awful viewfinder, to be the best all round fit.  I like the rx100 IQ but the lack of viewfinder and shorter range just make the G16 a bit more appealing.  The x20 feels and looks great in hand but I just find the G16 to be more second nature in hand. It just flows better.  Also, my current off camera flash will work with the G16.

Before I pull the trigger do you have more input I might be missing in my consideration, or another choice I might not have considered?

Canon PowerShot G16 Fujifilm X20 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow