Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jeff hladun
Senior MemberPosts: 2,045
Like?
Ring Flash for Rangefinders
6 months ago

For anyone interested in ringflash photography with a rangefinder, here is a solution I came up with a few days ago. The items used were:

M8 with Zeiss 21mm Biogon ZM

Canon 580Ex

Canon OC-E3 off camera flash cable

Rayflash ring flash adapter for Canon flash units

adjusting plate cannibalized from the Metz CT60-4

Velcro, and an elastic band

captive screws with knurled knobs (2)

3/4 inch maple dowel

foam rubber handgrip from a children's bicycle

I think the photos are self-explanatory. All of the stresses are centred on the plate, with sidereal rigidity sufficiently provided by the elastic band in conjunction with the Velcro at the bottom of the hand-grip. This provides less stress to the flash unit which has a tendency to move the ring flash off-centre when in portrait mode.

If anyone wants a more detailed walk-through of the construction, I'd be happy to provide. The frontal image shows about 2/3 of the optical viewfinder is obstructed, and this is the major downfall to the set-up. The live-view of the M would be the better option, as would the same be on the T. I intend on using it "blind" with the M8 (I've come to know the 28mm field of view almost by heart).

The ring flash works a wonder in several ways: as a means to increasing dynamic range by lifting the shadows; providing soft, intimate light when working in close; flattening the frontal image plane.

Rayflash also builds the adapter to fit Nikon flashes, and recently added a universal adapter. It's possible to use the Nikon tethered flash cable with the Leica SF-24D in through-the-lens (TTL) mode with many M models; the universal adapter may be just the thing for those with Leitz flashes.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow