45mm F/2.8 pancake lens--I just bought it, now what?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
jhinkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,343Gear list
Like?
Re: 45mm F/2.8 pancake lens--I just bought it, now what?
In reply to johnparas11zenfoliodotcom, 4 months ago

johnparas11zenfoliodotcom wrote:

It should be arriving within a few days...

I am planning to put in on my D800, during family parties or my son's school events.. since it is manual focusing only... I am planning to use hyperfocal distance focusing so that maybe at f/11 or 16 from 5 feet to infinity everything will be in focus.. I have read that it might be too difficult to manually focus with it since it is so small... Especially when in a hurry... Damn Nikon why won't they make an AF pancake lens..

Also i am brushing up or practicing doing hyperfocal distance with my FX cam with a 50mm lens.... My question is .. What if i mount my 50mm (or even the 45mm P lens) on a DX body would the principle still applies to a DX sensor?

I guess i can google for some more info regarding that..but i hope you guys have some information about...

1. Experience using the 45mm P lens.. Handling, ergonomics, ease of use, use of focusing..

2. Hyper focusing with a DX sensor cam..

thanks all!

My 45/2.8 AI-P is glued to my D800 most of the time even though I have the 50/1.8G.

Why?

It's small - though the D800 is larg-ish, putting the 45P on it makes it much more wearable/storeable/manageable than with the 50/1.8G.

f/2.8 is fast enough 95% of the time.

I like the rendering wide open.

It's pretty easy to focus and it's focusing accuracy manually done is just as good as my 50/1.8G (though it is slower which is not usually a problem).

The focus ring is not too small for my average hands.

Sure the corners wide open are a bit soft, but stopped down to f/5.6 it's excellent except for the very very far corners which in 95% of what I do with it doesn't matter.

I have had to find the sweet spot of the focus confirmation dot for this lens - the dot just needs to start flickering on coming from the near side and it nails the focus.

The one thing I don't like about it is it's flare/ghosting with the sun in the frame, but I can live with that.

There is no reason Nikon could not come out with a set of compact f/4 or f/2.8 AF primes for FX.  These will sorely be needed when Nikon comes out with a FX body to compete with the A7(r) . . .  some day.

Many of my favorite photos have been taken with the 45/2.8P:

It's a great lens to own with the D800 and pairs perfectly well with my CV90/3.5 SL-II for a compact lens system.

jhinkey's gear list:jhinkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow