55-200mm lens problem - anyone experienced anything like this?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Gilly73
Junior MemberPosts: 29Gear list
Like?
55-200mm lens problem - anyone experienced anything like this?
3 months ago

While using my 55-200mm lens today I had a strange thing happen. I'd been using the lens for a few minutes at the longer end. I tried to retract the lens back to 55mm and noticed the zoom ring was stuck at 70mm. I didn't want to force it obviously, but it would not move down to 55mm. I moved the zoom ring back to 200mm, thinking it may clear it, but when I then tried to zoom back in, it wouldn't budge any lower than 100mm. Both times it felt like it was definitely stopped up against something, in the same way it does when you normally reach 200mm or 55mm and the only reason I realised that it wasn't retracted initially to 55mm was that I had about 1cm of the inner barrel showing at the front of the lens.

I managed to clear it after a couple of minutes of fiddling around.  I'm hoping it was just a one off, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had anything like this happen to them? Or can anyone think what might have caused this?  Any opinions of whether something like this is likely to reoccur in future?

I'm only worried because I'm going on holiday in five weeks and I will want to take this lens with me.  If it needs to go to Fuji UK for repair, I wonder if I would get it back in time.  I purchased the lens second hand (like new) in February, but it's probably been my most used lens and I've had no problems with it until now.

Does anyone know if Fuji honour the manufacturer's warranty if the item has been purchased from the original buyer and the original purchase invoice is to hand?  Not really bothered if I have to pay, but just curious.

Gilly73's gear list:Gilly73's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow