New E-M1 user - question about auto-focus performance - is my camera broken?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jefframm
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
New E-M1 user - question about auto-focus performance - is my camera broken?
7 months ago

I'm a new E-M1 owner / user and just finished a great trip out to Utah and Arizona with the camera. I love the E-M1 and will be doing a more in-depth review of the camera, etc. and will also post some pics, but for now was hoping to get help on whether or not I have a defective camera.

To start, the pictures look great - so the auto-focus is working as I would expect once I depress the shutter release half-way. But when I hold the camera up to start composing a picture, without the shutter depressed, the focus seems to "hunt" quite significantly. It was almost like the focus would shift as the wind blew (seriously), but you'll see from the attached that it's doing the same thing indoors. It's definitely the camera, as I experienced the same behavior with the 12-40 zoom, the 40-150 zoom - and the 75 1.8 as well.

The video link http://youtu.be/n9TTAS8epLA is my attempt at capturing what it's doing via an iphone video - as I suspect that will make it easier to get feedback. (The camera has the 75 1.8 lens on it during the video). I held the camera fairly steady in my hand and the video shows the E-M1 "seeking" focus - and I'm not depressing any buttons or changing anything via controls. Again, to be 100% clear, the camera captures focus very quickly once the shutter release is depressed half-way, I'm just puzzled as to what / why the camera is doing what it is as you see in the video, and more specifically want to make sure that I don't have an issue that needs return or repair.

One last thing - I turned the camera back on (same location / position as I had it when i shot the iPhone video) and recorded a quick video on the E-M1 itself. It performed just as I thought it should - it only "hunted" for focus as the objects in the video changed - just as expected.

Thanks for your insights / comments.....

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow