Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ce3k
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
New 70D - a few related questions
6 months ago

Hope it's ok to post three questions in the same thread (I didn't want to clutter the Forum with what might be dumb questions!) . . .

OK, I got hold of my new 70D a couple of weeks ago along with the 18-135mm IS STM lens. I'm generally pleased with the camera (still getting used to it to be fair) and realise I can't expect perfection from the kit lens.

My three questions are as follows:

1. I need a bigger zoom! I really can't afford L glass (at least for another year) and so I'm trying to decide between the Canon 70-300 F4-5.6 IS USM or the Tamron 70-300  SP AF F4-5.6 Di VC USD. Does anybody have any experience of either of these in practice? Is there anything better quality in a similar price range? I would probably even prefer something that goes out to 400mm but not sure I'd get enough quality for the price I can afford (less than £500 UK).

2. I'm afraid I'm a RAW virgin! I get what RAW is and that it contains an immense amount more data than the jpeg, but why is it that I can't see any noticeable difference between the high quality jpeg and the RAW file in Canon's DPP software? I must be missing something so could someone put me right as to why I shouldn't just shoot in high quality jpeg?

3. I've tried my Raynox DCR250 on the end of the Canon lens with this camera. It seems to work ok at the 135mm zoom end, except for a bit of vignetting at the corners. Now this probably is a dumb question, but why doesn't the depth of field improve if I choose an AV Priority mode and something like f22 (or should it)?

Thanks in advance

Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
RAWNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow