Friend looking at T3i bundle @ Best Buy -- help me talk her off the ledge!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mrbenji
Regular MemberPosts: 250Gear list
Like?
Friend looking at T3i bundle @ Best Buy -- help me talk her off the ledge!
3 months ago

My oldest friend is very involved in coaching/supporting high school athletics... mostly track & basketball, and she winds up shooting a lot of the events and sharing photos with the kids & their parents. She used to have a Nikon D5100 -- when that was stolen a couple/few years ago she could only afford a D3100 -- I believe she only has the kit zoom.

Anyway, she just asked me for help in making a camera decision: in particular, she has her eye on this Best Buy bundle: Canon T3i with 18–55mm kit plus "75–300mm f/4–5.6 III" telephoto zoom for $599. I shuddered... my understanding is that the T3i is hopelessly outdated, that Canon's high ISO noise is horrible, and that in short, the only real reason to buy a Canon at all these days is if you own a ton of L glass and the cost of switching systems is prohibitive. It also doesn't even seem like much of an upgrade over the D3100.

She's not a highly-technical shooter... her primary motivation is "photos from Canons always look so much better than mine." When I suggested that PP and lenses were most likely the only difference, she asked me what post-processing was.

I'm a happy E-mount shooter (NEX-5, now A6000), but I recognize the superiority of SLTs for sports (E-mount teles topping out at 210mm and costing more, no 3rd party budget teles, etc.), which is what brings me here. *I* think she'd be way better off getting an SLT... the obvious advantages of an EVF, available 3rd party & Minolta glass with AF & IBIS, better sensor DR, etc.

Anyway, I'm not super "up" on SLTs, so I wanted to get some help from people more familiar with the options. She wants to spend under $1,000, so that's the biggest limitation... obviously the further over that $600 Best Buy package price I suggest, the more pushback there will be.

Creative options welcome: I'm sure she'd prefer a new body, but I might be able to nudge her toward a good used body. I'd definitely be open for recommending good Minolta or Tamron/Sigma alternatives to the 18-55 and 75-300 she's looking at.

Please, help me save a soul from the "dark side!" (grin)

mrbenji's gear list:mrbenji's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +5 more
Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Nikon D3100 Nikon D5100 Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow