Move to full frame to save money on primes?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bepperb
Junior MemberPosts: 36
Like?
Move to full frame to save money on primes?
6 months ago

First question, I really want to think out loud preferably in a room with people who know more than I do.

My current lineup is

T1i body (crop)

18-55 and 55-250mm crop lenses

18-200 crop lens

28 1.8 and 50mm 1.8 full frame primes.

The only lenses that get any use are the 50mm prime (when I'm using the camera) and the 18-200 (when my wife is.)  I bought the 28mm 1.8 with high hopes, but it's kind of a drag.  It's big and heavy and the front element sticks way out.  The 50mm is a better lens is every way I can think of (1/6 the cost, 1/2 the weight, recessed lens) but impossible to use indoors due to focal length.

So I have considered selling the 28 1.8 and buying a used 5dmk1.  I take the 400 I can sell that 28 for and it's close enough to break even for me (and if it weren't I could sell the 18-55 and/or 55-250).  Then the 50mm goes on the 5d and I'm better off than where I started?  Right?

Or sell it all and get a 5dmk1 with a 28-135 and the 50mm 1.4 and it's like a free upgrade (not including the hassle of selling the stuff)?

Am I missing something?  Will Canon ever release a cheap light normal prime for the crop cameras (like Nikon does)?  Is buying an 8 year old body more risk than I'm considering?

Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow