ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
npires
Senior MemberPosts: 1,224Gear list
Like?
Northern France - A weekend with the Sony A7
7 months ago

As a follow up to this thread: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3664036

I've decided to share my thoughts and experiences along with some photos from the bank holiday weekend at the beginning of this month.

I wanted to make the most out of this trip so had originally wanted to get opinions on what lenses would be best to take along with me while not travelling too heavy. After much deliberation I took the following:

• Sigma FD 24mm F2.8
  • A7 + FE 28-70
  • FD 135mm F2.8
  • NEX5 + 16mm + UWA
  • EasyAcc 9000mAh external battery + 2 x NP-FW50s.

Over the three days I probably shot around 380 shots between the two cameras (after crimping and post processing I have around 140 give or take).
Now here's the interesting thing what lenses did I use the most?
As I was taking a majority of landscape and architectural shots you'd think it'd be the 24mm and the NEX-5 with the UWA right?

Surprisingly turns out I used the kit lens the most! I observed that for what I wanted 28mm was wide enough and when I needed a little bit more zoom 70mm was sufficient (as I could crop). There were only very few circumstances where I needed to reach for my NEX-5, the 24mm or the 135mm lenses.

Pretty much 85-90% of my photos were taken with the kit lens. The 24mm followed after then the NEX-5 and lastly the 135mm lens.

There were too many opportunities around in the small villages and towns were sticking a prime would have limited me (that and changing lenses too many times) so the kit lens was overall the better choice. In fact 35mm might be have been more suitable.

As it was sunny a lot of my shots were stopped down. This in turn meant I was getting good sharpness from my lenses and if I was using my primes that advantage would have gone.

However the one item I have to recommend fully is probably the external battery battery pack. Having got the idea from a fellow poster here I'm so glad I put this to use.

I was able to charge my camera while in the bag between destinations (as we were driving about 30-45minutes at a time) by almost 40-50% at a time.

This meant that for the whole trip I probably only changed my battery once! Being able to charge via USB is actually pretty useful as I've always carried 3-4 spare batteries when it was just my NEX-5 and the A7 chews through batteries much quicker so this was perfect.

Now on to the more fun stuff the pictures!

Who's watching who?

Morning sunrise.

Was a pretty misty morning!

These guys were a bit shy.

Notre Dame in Amiens.

Vertical panorama to give you a sense of scale.

Enjoying the sunset

Sunset on the coast

Had to wait for the beach to become clear.

Night shot on the way back.

In the gardens on Notre Dame.

Thanks for reading.

Nick

npires's gear list:npires's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha 7 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow