ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
martin001
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Sony RX100 as pocket/diving camera
4 months ago

Hi,

I am into phase of deciding what to buy, and RX Mark I seems to be best fit. What I need:

- small but good camera for climbing/mountaineering that can fit a small case that can be put on backpack belt or harness, not having a viewfinder is acceptable. So really point-and-shoot, as light as possible, with as much image quality as possible.

- budget diving setup, ie RX100 in underwater case (OK one is around 150 USD). The question is lighting, flashlight is the option for poor. Reasonably priced & sized strobe(s) would be nice, but I have no clue how they are triggered by camera, how annoying are they to use, and if they don't scare animals too much (I rather have less brilliant photos without harming creatures rather than opposite).

For these purposes, till now I used my GoPro Hero 2. Far from ideal, but pocketable and +- usable (underwater with additional lens needed to be mounted - annoying process). For taking photos where size & weight is not an issue, I use my Panasonic FZ 200, and with enough light, I am happy with it. Why I didn't consider Mark II or III of RX100 - I didn't hear about greatly improved image quality, so there is probably none. 24mm of Mark III would be nice, but it alone doesn't justify almost double price. Rest of improvements doesn't seem to improve anything interesting to me, for those 2 purposes.

Took a brief look into Canon G1x Mark II, but it's too heavy for climbing, and image quality shouldn't be dramatically better, so no.

And yes, price/value ratio matters to me

Can you give me any hints, confirm my initial analysis or point me into right direction (ie for reasonable underwater lighting?)

Thank you

Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow