X-E1 vs X-E2 (from a MFT user perspective)

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
secretworld
Senior MemberPosts: 1,069Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E1 vs X-E2 (from a MFT user perspective)
In reply to thxbb12, 7 months ago

thxbb12 wrote:

M4/3 and X-E1 owner here;

Have you thought about the oly 75mm? Or even the 45mm. I think both are great (I can only afford the 45mm). With 45mm f1.8 depth of field is 2.5cm at 1m, with 75mm f1.8 it is 0.9cm (but 2.3cm again at 1.5m of course).

I do own the 75 which is a fantastic lens (probably the best I own). However, it's very long and not suitable in many cases. If you have space it's great for sure.

The 45 is fine for head or upper body shots, but it does have too much DOF when one wants to isolate the subject in a full body shot. The Fuji would do much better at f/1.2 in this particular scenario.

With APS-c and 56mm f1.2 it is 2.3cm soooooo if you like your EM1 it seems quit pointless to me.

Well, as I said above, it has its uses. One can always close the aperture, but one can't open a lens more than it's physical aperture!

Plus the x-trans sensor has is pluses but also minuses!

Agreed.

I do like my X-E1 for the 18-55 lens and it looks/handling. It is a great standard zoom lens, on par with the pana 20mm and the oly 45mm (except speed) and I got the package really cheap (400 euro) which was near to the price of the VF4, which I was shopping for.

What do you think of the AF? How about the overall responsiveness of the E1?

OOPS you already heave the 45mm and 75mm, then there is really nothing to gain

Yeah... If only someone would release the f/0.95 Voigtlander lens with AF.... I'm sure many people would buy them.

Are you looking for the one eye in focus look or subject/background isolation?

I have no issues with focussing at all, but I shoot almost only daylight landscapes so not to challenging focus wise.

Our DOF calculators don't seem to agree here. But I still think if you want a meaningful difference to the 45 or 75mm you would need to go full frame with a very fast 80 to 135mm. APSC is not that big a difference.

One difference there is, Xtrans is less noisy!

If on the other hand you are attracted to the camera and are searching a reason to buy, yes it is a lovely camera, feels  and looks great. Love the control system. If you are into portraits I would go for the X-E1, some skin colour issues at high iso's with the 2 newer models (jpeg only).

secretworld's gear list:secretworld's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow