Is the A6000's kit lens really wasted by putting a kit lens in front of it?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
2eyesee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,668
Like?
Is the A6000's kit lens really wasted by putting a kit lens in front of it?
7 months ago

I'm seriously considering the A6000, and the intent was to use it with a kit lens for general family photos and video, and perhaps adding a 50mm f/1.8 for some nice shallow depth of field portraits.

However, neither the 18-55mm or the 16-50mm kit lenses have been highly regarded for their sharpness - even with the previous 16MP sensor - and my fear is the new 24MP sensor will show them up even more and just leave me with much larger files with no gain in image quality.

I'm not saying the lenses are bad at all. I think they are fine for my purposes, but looking at the Camera Labs resolution test seems to confirm that 24MP needs more than a kit lens to take advantage of it.

Also, the Camera Labs noise test seems to show no real advantage of the A6000's sensor in noise performance over the EM-5, which has a sensor that's much smaller and been around for a while now. Or am I not reading this correctly? Is it a case of apparent noise being less when the A6000 images are scaled down to match the EM-5 in size?

I don't like doing a lot of lens swapping so I was keen on a kit lens, and the Zeiss 16-70 is too expensive. I could consider a prime pair of, say, the 20mm f/2.8 and 50mm f/1.8, but I would need to use the 20mm for video and it's not stabilised.

I'd be keen on any feedback on my comments/questions - in particular on whether it's worthwhile putting a kit lens in front of the A6000's sensor.

Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow