Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hoddle
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?
Some summary RX-10 questions
4 months ago

Until now I've used an Olympus E520 with 14-42 and 40-150 lenses. It’s been great for outdoor shots – but I'm now fed up with carrying and swapping lenses. Also in average lighting situations e.g. taking photos of people or groups indoors such inside the house, restaurant, pub, reception place etc, or even in a sports stadium - I’m always in a bind. The pop-up flash is only OK for close-ups within a few metres and I don’t always want to carry an external flash. And I never thought of going too high with ISO setting (and I think the E520 goes to about 1600 and I've always thought I needed to avoid that.)

I realise everything is a compromise – but I’m seriously liking the idea of the Sony RX-10 and have been keenly reading the forum and read lots of reviews and been looking at lots of photos and trying to understand the technical explanations of them too. So thanks to all those people who have posted their pics - and thanks to the others who comment. I am trawling through the threads and posts and slowly absorbing it all. It really is appreciated).

Overall I've got a couple of probably basic questions that I'd like to ask to test whether I am really on the right track?

Could I expect that with an RX10 that I might take successful inside photos (as described above) without flash – and as a result of simply opening up to (say) F2.8 and using a high ISO - and still holding the camera with a suitable shutter speed? If so - how high an ISO could I go for good quality?

I’ve also seen sample pics such as ones at kids dance concerts, rock concerts where the pictures are possibly taken from near the back rows. Same question. Can they be taken with (say) F2.8 – maybe zooming up to 200mm and using a high ISO? Further to that - am I right is picking up that these would be possible without shutter noise?

And despite all that - how effective/useful is the pop-up flash anyway?

Thanks in advance

Olympus E-520 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow