Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Barry Stewart
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,154Gear list
Like?
Wifi is for the birds. E-M1 and Sigma 60
5 months ago

'Not sure if it was Dad or Mom — but he/she was sure rockin' with the worms on Mother's Day!

North American robins had made a nest in the typical place under our deck and I figured it would be a good test for the Wifi controls in my new E-M1. I used my Sigma 60 and a gigantic old Manfrotto video tripod that can extend to about 8 feet.

Using my i-Pad, I could actually be in the house, adjusting the focus, aperture and film speed. I stayed outside, though, so I could get a preview of the parent coming in with the next load.

Note to self, if I get another chance before they learn to fly: keep the shutter speed up above 1/200th, as the little guys really vibrate when the worms arrive. F/4 has a pretty narrow DOF at this distance. I might tighten that up as well. This will force a high ISO (above 2000) but that's not as much of a problem with the modern sensors.

There's some screen delay, so "spray and pray" at 10 FPS is one way to up your chances of having a well-timed shot.

Wifi is cool! I highly recommend it, if you're looking into a new camera.
(I WISH Oly had allowed video control via Wifi. Panasonic does.)

-- hide signature --

Barry

Barry Stewart's gear list:Barry Stewart's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 +10 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow