Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Roy Williams
New MemberPosts: 14Gear list
Like?
Canon 28mm1.8 or 17-55mm2.8 OR 17-50 Sigma
4 months ago

1st, its a hobby, before you even ask because i have alot to type and i hope its not to much.

So i have a 50D and a 7D, and T3(not a T3I just a T3) as a back up. i shoot alot of low light events like ALOT. My main categories in photography are: Low light parties/events(B-days, proms-dances-clubs-concerts-festivals) Sports/high speed movement, portraits(senior photos, models, etc), Video and sooner or later i'll get into Macro

Sooo as the title says, its a debate for the latest lens to add to my armory. Right now i have a 50mm1.8ii that i use for alll my low light events in smaller places like proms or clubs. I have an 85mm1.8 that i dont really use for to much low light because it is to long on a 1.6x. And a 55-250mm which i've used for sports outside. 85 i use inside for sports, use it for portraits too(i use my 50 as well).  My 50 is great at low light events, focus is quick and sharp even at 1.8(if im not doing a group photo) but its still to long with the crop factor and i have to back wayyyy up which is hard small places full of people. Which is why i've decided i really need a fast wide zoom or a wider prime.

I've read the 28 1.8 is a really good one for low light and will be basically same quality as my 50

I've read the on going debates of the 17-55 lens of canon tamorn and sigma. I've ruled out Tamorn. So out of the 28,17-55/17-50-Which one would serve me better on my 7D for low light events? Im talking pure AF ability in the dark, not pitch black but dark enough where my iso is 400-1600(yes i have a powerful flash) i dont care for sharp corners talk, i've read alot of that or that canon has the best IQ i just wanna know which of the 3 lens will be worth the buy because i dont have alot of money at all and i can only afford one lens.  Not trying to come off rude just trying to make sure i put all the details in this post so you guys can understand what im asking.

Please have experience with least one of these lens or all of them. My budget is so small that if i buy the canon i will be burnt for a while but im willing to shell out for a used around 6-700 but i'd rather not. Please help!! Hopefully i gave enough details. Thank you in advance!

Roy Williams's gear list:Roy Williams's gear list
Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +1 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow