The best native E/FE lens as of today?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
neil holmes
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,741
Like?
Re: The best native E/FE lens as of today?
In reply to Tone Row, 2 months ago

Tone Row wrote:

Hi All,

Long story is that I am giving up my ZA 16-70. After having it for a few weeks I just couldn't shake the feeling that I wasn't getting the performance I would have expected and finally got around to doing some deeper tests that uncovered decentering. I didn't notice it at first because I mostly shoot wide open and don't worry about the edges. It only became apparent when some stopped-down architectural shots I took were consistently blurry along the left edge. No biggie, I can take it back and swap it out with another and call it a day.

That got me thinking about lenses in general though and wondering which Sony E/FE lens is considered to be the best these days. Is it still the 24/1.8?

Obviously the "best" is the FE 55 1.8 ZA on the A7R (DXOmark score of 42 is far above the next best which is the FE 35 2.8 ZA on the A7R with a score of 33).

"Best" on APSC is the FE 55 1.8 ZA again but on the A3000...with a score of 26 this combination rates fourth overall.

No lenses have yet been tested on the A7 (though I saw in a post on DXOmark that tests will be posted this month).

While I think there is no such thing as best overall as they all have different uses/strengths/weaknesses.

Maybe the FE 55 1.8 ZA would "win" at its focal length for lenses 1.8 or slower with price not considered.

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Ratings

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow