Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,961Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking about an SB-400. Thoughts?
In reply to InTheMist, 5 months ago

InTheMist wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about getting an SB-400 to throw in my bag for use as a popup-replacement or hair/rim light (with a PocketWizard).

Opinions?

It has to be small as I've become a weight weenie, and anyway, I already have two SB-700s and a SB-900.

I didn't like the SB-300 because it uses AAA batteries and I'm already heavily invested in AA rechargeables.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

If you already have a big flash or two, the Sb400 is absolutely wonderful and this is one of those occasions where Ken Rockwell is correct.

Flip the little head up and you get a very nice soft bounce flash, especially if you order the little plastic diffuser with it. When I pack a small bag with my Df or Coolpix P7700, this little flash does so much better than the direct flash that is built in to some of my other camera bodies. If I strip down my D800 (grip off and small prime) the SB400 does a nice enough job, though it's not nearly as versatile as the full size flashes. You're not going to get the type of power of a full sized flash, so don't expect miracles. If you're trying to light up a big scene you'll need to crank the ISO more than with an SB800 or 910.

I bought mine at the last minute for 110.00 bucks. I would not have it as my only flash, but it's nice to have for certain situations and not the heavy counterweight that my big guns are.

I also tried the Sb300 recently and it's really about the same, a bit less powerful, but the head tilts better. The Sb300 also uses AAA batteries instead of AA like the SB400....not a big deal unless you have OCD with battery matching.

Cheers,

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow