The best native E/FE lens as of today?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Joachim Wulfers
Senior MemberPosts: 1,074Gear list
Like?
Re: The best native E/FE lens as of today?
In reply to ZTJ, 5 months ago

ZTJ wrote:

Tone Row wrote:

Hi All,

Long story is that I am giving up my ZA 16-70. After having it for a few weeks I just couldn't shake the feeling that I wasn't getting the performance I would have expected and finally got around to doing some deeper tests that uncovered decentering. I didn't notice it at first because I mostly shoot wide open and don't worry about the edges. It only became apparent when some stopped-down architectural shots I took were consistently blurry along the left edge. No biggie, I can take it back and swap it out with another and call it a day.

That got me thinking about lenses in general though and wondering which Sony E/FE lens is considered to be the best these days. Is it still the 24/1.8?

The 24/1.8 is awful wide open and always has been. How are you defining best? The "best" lens is a silly question though. Best at what? The 24/1.8 is terrible at headshot/top third portraits where the 50/1.8 is far superior. The 55-210 is easily the best APS-C E mount telephoto lens for maximum focal length. There is no competition.

What do you even mean by best? Best at what?

Most versatile by far, for me, is the SEL 18200.

-- hide signature --

Joachim

Joachim Wulfers's gear list:Joachim Wulfers's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow