Settings for onboard flash with my 7D ???

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Fish Chris
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,850Gear list
Like?
Settings for onboard flash with my 7D ???
6 months ago

Alright so, pretty much every time on the way back from one of my main stomping grounds (the Bluebird place) I'm on the down hill side, from the setting sun + with lots of tree cover, so almost never good light.

Now, I have no clue what I'm doing (what I did) but a time or two, with my camera still set for BB's in-flight (so like 1/3200, auto ISO, etc) I simply reached up, hit the little flash button on the side of the camera, it pops up, I focus, and take a test shot of a wildflower 12 or 13 feet away, and it comes out great ! Sharp, good color, contrast, etc.

However, when something cool finally pops up (I think it was a Nuttall's woodpecker ?) I tried the same thing with the onboard flash, and the shots came out totally blurry ??? Figures.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

My first thought, is to go into "Full Auto", take a test shot or two, and check to see the settings the camera shows it used (I mean, as long as the test shots look okay) Then to go into full Manual, copy the cameras choice for settings, but maybe just tweak a few little things to fit my preferences..... Good idea ? Or no ?

Oh, one more thing; My 7D has an effective flash range of only 14ft. But then my 400 5.6 has a minimum focus distance of 11.5 feet.... So basically my window of opportunity is only from 11.5 to 14 ft.

Still, I made it work with wildflowers, but not with the bird ? Hmmm.

Your thoughts, and suggestions please.

Thank you,

Fish

Fish Chris's gear list:Fish Chris's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow