Canon S95 - weird spot in middle of photo

Started Aug 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
PJ48North
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Re: Canon S95 - weird spot in middle of photo
In reply to Chefke, 2 months ago

I have the exact same problem, started a few weeks ago. I bought this camera in December 2011, so it is now over 2 years old.

It do not believe it is moisture: I first noticed it while shooting in a very dry environment, outdoors, above 8000 feet elevation, temperatures in the 70's and 80's. Camera had not been in a cool environment for several days. Same condition now after I am home in Minneapolis MN. Effect is worst when shooting with the sun in front of the sensor plane, and seems worse and more consistent while shooting video. It does not happen at all when the sun or strong light source is behind the sensor plane, but I have not examined photos closely to see if any other distortion effect is visible.

I visually examined the lens closely: with light reflecting off the (plastic?) lens covering, I can see a small dimple in the covering. I believe this is the source of the problem, and I have not thought  much about how this could occur.  I have not contacted Canon, but this is certainly out of warranty.

Any thoughts on this?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow