Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
theoldbull
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
Nikon 80-400mm af-s new version seem to have a continuous focus problem
7 months ago

I have had this lens for half a year, an have most of the time been very happy with it. But I have had many moving objects photos out of focus. So I decided to test it the other day on my D7100. Camera in AF-C mode 21 points, focus tracking with lock on set to normal. Even if you focused on a stationary object the focus motor moved to and from in small steps, which generated blur. If you focus on a moving object many pictures are not sharp.

I have now handed in the lens to Nikon service for adjustment.

Most review do not mention this problem but the review in Photography do:

Cited from the review in Phtography life: http://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-80-400mm-vr/2:"However, this lens has one serious flaw, which can get annoying very quickly – it has the same AF hesitation or “chatter” as some other AF-S zoom lenses, like the Nikon 70-300mm VR. I first noticed this when photographing my son in a park at a long distance zoomed all the way to 400mm. The autofocus motor went back and forth in small steps continuously for as long as I half-pressed the shutter release button. It was a bright day, so this was not like this problem was happening only in low light. I then took the lens to photograph birds and the same thing happened again, pretty much every time when AF was engaged. What does this AF hesitation look like? "

I this a general problem or just a problem with some specific samples?

theoldbull's gear list:theoldbull's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +2 more
Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow