Started May 11, 2014 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jason Gerrish
New MemberPosts: 8
Studio Lighting newbie looking for guidance before purchase
May 11, 2014

Hello all.  I'm looking for guidance before I pull the trigger on a purchase of studio lighting.  While I still consider myself an amateur with lots to learn, I do have some nice equipment so far...

Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 70-200 2.8L IS II USM, Canon 24-70 2.8L II USM, Canon 16-35 2.8L II USM, Canon 50mm 1.4, Canon 600 EX-RT, Canon 430EX II.

My small amount of work so far is posted on

My daughter dances and I want to take pictures of her and her friends at home (to hopefully get better pics than the quick, low budget pics the studio offers once/year.

I bought some backdrops, stands, and cheap continuous softbox lights in the hopes I could use those with my flash/flashes to get nice pics.  I was unhappy with the results and thought I'd be better investing some nicer high powered strobes with a huge softbox for a key light and another to blow out the background.  I was thinking instead of a 3rd strobe, could use the low-budget continuous softboxes I bought for the frontfill light(s).

I know I'm "buying on a whim" because I told a couple people I would "try" to take their photos for them and I also want to do my daughters studio shots.  I also am willing to pay (buy once - cry once theory).  I do not want to regret paying $500 for a strobe that doesn't do what I want it to when paying $900 would have done the job.  I'm willing to spend up to $2000 for my first 2 lights and softbox(es).  I already regret buying the (3) continuous softbox lights for $200.

My first concern is that I want to shoot action shots...dancers leaping through the air (as well as still poses).  My experience so far is I want at least 1/350 second shutter speed for minimize blur.  Is it true that less expensive strobes will not be able to handle that "sync speed"? Am I referring to that correctly?

I also may occasionally want to take some outdoor pics with the lights so it would be really nice to have a DC option.

I noticed the Cowboy Studio Mettle 600AD strobes on Amazon for ~$350 each and they are AC/DC.  Would anyone recommend those for my situation (I could buy 3 with softboxes/umbrellas).  Would the "sync speed" be an issue?  And how would I best trigger these using my 5D Mark III?

Any guidance from the experts is greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow