Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,880Gear list
Like?
A lens dilema
2 months ago

I know there have been a lot of "what lenses should I take to x" threads lately. This one is a bit different but along a similar vain for which I apologise.

I've been trying to tweak a perfect general travel kit for ages. When I go travelling I normally visit quite a variety of places on one trip so asking for a kit for x is pointless to me. I need something that can cover everything with minimal annoyance with my travel companions.

I started out with the intention of having a 9-18mm, 25mm and 35-100mm then decided it would be too much lens changing and don't like the look of rectilinear images that wide. This developed to the 12-35mm, 35-100mm, 7.5mm fish-eye and sometimes the 25mm. This is a lovely kit but due to the focal ranges I like shooting still too much lens changing and tbh getting a bit bulky.

So I've been looking at getting the 14-140mm, 20mm, 7.5mm and maybe 14mm. (I also have the 45mm which might get taken sometimes depending on who I'm travelling with/how long I'm staying in the same place for).

The problem I have is the following scenario. When I'm in cities I like going out for the day, and for me that means from 10am til about midnight. If possible I like to no take a bag at all and just have a camera round my neck and stuff in my pockets. The 14-140mm would be grand for this with the 20mm in my pocket for when it gets dark. The problem is though, when it gets dark and I swap over to the 20mm... what do I do with the 14-140mm? It's too big to go in a pocket, I don't have a bag, I'm stuck.

Does anyone have any suggestions of lens combinations that might be able to help me with this problem? Or am I just gonna have to carry a bag?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow