RayGuselli
Forum ProPosts: 13,395Gear list
Like?
Would the DF work please?
5 months ago

Hi,

May I ask for some advice please.

I use a D700 and D300.

I sometimes take shots in a theatre (which allows flash) but prefer to shoot without for two reasons: -

1. to maintain stage lighting ambience

2. so as not to distract other people watching

I primarily use the D700 for this and when not using flash, am often at ISO 3200, but would prefer to be above to increase shutter speed and/or shoot with smaller aperture instead of 2.8 etc.

I like to take close ups of the performers (image attached as an example)

I was therefore wondering about an upgrade to a DF.

It appears to be the low light king (in a price range) and would seemingly produce cleaner images at say iso 6400+ than the D700.

However, if the DF af is poor in low light/stage lighting, might I end up missing many of the shots the D700 otherwise locks onto because of its apparent ability to focus in low light reasonably well/better than a DF might? Not sure I would be good enough to focus manually in fast changing scenes.

Alternatively, would I be better considering a D800, shooting more wider angle, lower iso and cropping?

Any ideas or help would be much appreciated and gratefully received.

Thanks very much,

Ray
ps apologies if this link does not show image directly but new flickr codes are not as clear as before...

https://flic.kr/p/bQNiJn

-- hide signature --

VISIT MY WEBSITE HERE...HOPE YOU LIKE
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77568703@N03/

RayGuselli's gear list:RayGuselli's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow