Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tpani
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
Going to... The Ultimate Thread
7 months ago

A recurring theme in the forums: I am going to New Jersey, what lenses should I take? Is there a need for a wide angle lens for NJ? Is there a need for a telephoto lens?

My answer to all of these 12471 threads is: If your trip is about shooting birds or other wildlife only, take the longest telephoto lens you have. Otherwise, take a WA, wide-aperture primes (if there is any chance of dark shooting conditions, at least), a walk-around zoom, and a telephoto zoom. You will definitely find use for all of these lenses, no matter whether it is New Jersey, New Delhi, Italy or Iceland, provided that you are a creative photographer who finds use for all these types of lenses.

I cannot believe that there is any city or country that is so limited in photo shooting opportunities that you could rule out any lens. Your lens choices 100 per cent depend on your personal shooting style, how many ounces/grams you want to carry your (extremely light and portable m43) camera gear, and what lenses you have. If someone tells you that you won't need that lens in Luang Prabang, please take this as a challenge and prove him/her wrong by shooting your most interesting photos with that lens.

I always travel with my whole range of m43 lenses and cameras (combined weight about 1.2 kg). Deciding to take all is a no-brainer unless you are heading to the ISS and the Russians charge you $500 per 0.001 kg. Discussing this is exactly as useful as discussing your choice of bringing that pair of boring brown trousers (3 pounds, 1.3 kg) that you won't most likely be using anyway. Don't bring those trousers (or that bottle of shampoo, a hair-dryer, whatever), and do bring all your photo gear, if that trip is so special that it needs to be discussed.

A much more interesting thread is: I am going to city/region/country X; what are the specific photographic highlights there (because I am a tourist  ). Many people live there where you are going, and they use all their lenses there.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow