Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
richiedodson
Regular MemberPosts: 291
Like?
Remote Live View or external screen for studio
6 months ago

I'm interested in opinions of products or options that make a camera's view through the lens available from a few metres away ie: a remote screen.

I usually use the EOS Utility in studio, laptop tethered to 1DX or 5DII but since I'm photographing products such as bicycles that require a lot of setup in shot (cranks at the right angle, wheels and spokes perfectly rotated, handlebars and forks straight etc.) I need a screen at the setup end.

For years I have been going back and forth from laptop to bike and making small adjustments - lots of walking and wasted time. Recently I tried an HDMI from tethered laptop to a large TV near the bike but it didn't save time and required extra effort to stop blue light reflection onto the product by covering or moving the TV.

I could simply use a longer USB and have the laptop near the bike. Does anyone know how long a USB cable can be before it stops working with EOS? I'd need at least 5-6m minimum.

Is there a remote screen product that provides a live view that can be zoomed in and out to see detail? I've seen Aputure products advertised on Ebay but I don't know how good they might be... at $300 seems expensive for a tiny screen.

Is there a way to have EOS Utility available wirelessly? all-day shoots require a lot of battery.

What do others use?

-- hide signature --

'high IQ'

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow