Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,086Gear list
Like?
Out of sight, out of mind, out of business
2 months ago

I was at Target today and I've been seeing a trend from camera's taking up aisles, to half a row, and now finally the *entirety* of all camera's can be seen on display as an aisle *end* shelf (really wish I took a picture of this to give you guys an idea of how diminutive it was).  Not only that but it was a Target located in a mostly Asian demographic...talk about a handicap.  In other words Dr Dre's beat headphones had kiosks and aisle space 2x-3x the space of *all* cameras.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...pick whatever gear you like the most now...you may never see such favorable pricing again.  I fear without a strong mainstream consumer base, the only cameras left will be those with high premiums and fatter profit margins with low sales volume.

FYI Canon had the SL1 on display, Nikon had the D3300, and there were a few other random showings on this aisle end-piece (from P&S's to bridge cameras).  No advanced mirrorless except the Nikon J1.

I think it'll get worse before it gets better (or that it just will never get better).

I am also shopping for a decent Piano recently, and I can't help but wonder if there are some parallels there...where at some point in time there were many American companies all capable of building quality pianos on par with Steinway and plenty of healthy competition...and now there are only a handful of quality piano manufacturers all with very low sales volumes.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
Canon EOS 100D (EOS Rebel SL1) Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D3300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow