Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,150Gear list
Like?
SPP: No difference between Q12 JPG and 8-bit TIFF
2 months ago

In a recent thread it was mistakenly claimed there was a difference between a Q12 JPG and 8-bit TIFF output.

This is incorrect, and I wanted to make sure that everyone knew the reality before making editing output choices - in terms of editing they are utterly identically pixel to pixel in every aspect.

You can see for yourself, download the two images from here:

SPP Q12 & 8-bit TIFF images

To check, load the JPG and the TIFF into any image editor, then copy one onto the other image as a new layer - then choose "difference" as a layer blending, or "subtraction".  You'll see an entirely black screen.  Shift the layer over a little to verify what difference does when the pixels are not identical.

The easiest way to check with your own images, is to save out a JPG file at Q12, then an 8-bit TIFF file using the same color space - then load them into an image editor and try the same test.

I also tried this on an SD-10 image to verify it was not an effect of Merrill specific processing, it worked the same way.

The file size difference is 44MB vs 3MB...

I myself continue to use TIFF files because I save in 16-bit TIFF and JPG does not support 16-bit files.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow