Which DSLR for Professional Product and Food Photography - part II

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Moti
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,560
Like?
Re: Which DSLR for Professional Product and Food Photography - part II
In reply to DCooper, 6 months ago

You don't need any fancy lighting system for food photography. As a matter of fact, all you need is one small color balanced led light and a few cheap make-up mirrors that you can get in any supermarket. You set up the light and use the mirrors to reflect there where you want it. This is what some of the greatest food photographers use.

Gear is the least important part here. almost any decent camera and a close up lens can be used for food photography But the most important thing here is first and foremost the staging and the preparations which are the art of the trade and then the lighting. The rest you already have more than you need.

It is important to understand that food, unlike most of other products, can change its appearance very fast and as a food photographer you have to know how to deal with these issues. Try to shoot an icecream dish for half an hour and you'll understand what I mean

So, if you really want to do food photography, your first questions should be how do I shoot food. How do I make it look so gorgeous and tasty etc. and not what dslr I should buy which is quite irrelevant. In other words, start thinking as a photographer and not as a gear head.

So my advise to you is if you hadn't done it yet, get a good book about food photography and read it before you buy any further piece of kit. You'll be surprised of how much is there to learn.

Good luck

Moti

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow