Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hokuto
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,824Gear list
Like?
m4/3 40-150mm f2.8
3 months ago

I've been absent from DPREVIEW for most of the last four years, and this year doesn't look much better in terms of regular online participation, but I've got to take the time to make a couple of observations.

First, I switched (sort of) to the new micro4/3 system last year, with the purchase of an E-M1 and 12-40mm pro lens. Since the switch I've been happily adapting to the lighter weight of the new camera, while saving yen toward the purchase of the pro 40-150 lens hopefully this fall. In the interim, besides shooting with the wonderful 12-40 pro, I' been using my legacy 4/3 lenses mediated by the MMF-3 adapter, with mixed results. The lens I've used mostly in this way is the 50-200mm (Mk I); while the optical quality is great, I've been relatively disappointed with the focusing accuracy/speed.

Jumping forward several months, I take a student group annually to observe the Saito Goma firewalking rite at the Shiofune Kannon temple in western Tokyo. For the past several years my chosen kitl for this event has been the E3/E5 plus the normal 4/3 lenses (11-22mm, 14-54mm, 50-200mm). This year I had planned to take the 50-200 (Mk 1), but reviewing my photos from previous years, most fell into the range below 150mm--and since the weather was supposed to be clear, I bought the 40-150mm f4.0-5.6 at the last moment .

I'm sure that pixel peeping (by somebody else, not me) would turn up some faults, but I'm really overwhelmed at the basic optical quality of this minor lens.Here are a few comparison shots from last year and this.

Hokuto's gear list:Hokuto's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 +12 more
Olympus E-3 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow