Higher magnification w/ Nikon 105mm 2.8G VR?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
danielbw
Forum MemberPosts: 50
Like?
Higher magnification w/ Nikon 105mm 2.8G VR?
2 months ago

Hi,

I'm considering buying the Nikon 105mm 2.8G VR. The problem is I would like to get a higher magnification. This is not about shooting flowers or bugs, but rather non-traditional subjects and creative/experimental stuff (including macro stacking and macro stitching). But from what I understand, the G lenses don't work with the traditional Nikon PK extension tubes. So I would very much appreciate any suggestions on ways to achieve this without significant image quality loss. I don't have a clear idea of the different gear combos that I could use. Maybe the Sigma 150mm with a traditional Nikon PK, maybe the Nikon 105mm 2.8G with the Kenko tubes (although I don't know if they are compatible with FF) or some other thing. What about the PN-11 tube? Does it work with the G series? Or am I obligued to buy the relatively dated Nikkor AF 105mm f/2.8 D? I know the 2.8D is very capable (and maybe even a bit sharper tham the VR?) but between the two Nikon options I would prefer to work with a true IF lens. So any suggestions, combinations, etc., are highly welcomed. And any warnings too!

Thanks in advance!

Daniel

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow