Which DSLR for Professional Product and Food Photography - part II

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
DCooper
Regular MemberPosts: 169Gear list
Like?
Re: Which DSLR for Professional Product and Food Photography - part II
In reply to Gato Amarillo, 7 months ago

Thank you very much BAK, Toccota47, Hypercore, Gato and M, for your experienced and informative advice.

I completely agree with the general thought, that my first focus needs to be on improving and perfecting my lighting technique, for both Food and Product photography, and that I am aware it is those skills that make the picture rather than the choice of camera.  Whereas I think I already have some decent Lighting skills, I am at the early stages and want to get a portfolio and website together next.  I have a new home studio and I need to 'grow' into my style, if you get my meaning. I have an equal interest in Product and Food photography,  and I have researched generating business leads but I am not at that stage, yet.

I find it refreshing to hear from you guys that Full Frame is not so important in these two genres, especially at the stage I am at.

What struck me as crucial for my personal needs in changing to Nikon or Canon, is a larger Megapixel count, offering me the better ability to crop, and for me importantly, is the ability to tether to my laptop so I can remotely operate the camera and see a larger Live View or transferred image than just on the Camera LCD Screen, which is difficult. (The GH2 does not have a tethering option). I have a disability in my hands so tethering, and the articulating touch screen of the 70D is also helpful, also if I take the camera outside. Also, I am aware that Canon or Nikon would be a good investment if I ever need to hire or purchase a tilt shift lens in the future.

Most importantly, my GH2 will not fire my new strobes with the Skyport attached.   This is something I have looked into with Elinchrom, who are aware of the limitations with the GH2, so I figured this would be the primary reason for the swap to a DSLR at this moment in time, rather than continuing to invest in the M4/3 system or Film camera.

Thank you all,

D.

DCooper's gear list:DCooper's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow