Which DSLR for Professional Product and Food Photography - part II

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Gato Amarillo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,489
Like?
Re: Which DSLR for Professional Product and Food Photography - part II
In reply to Toccata47, 5 months ago

Toccata47 wrote:

Looking at your gear the first thing that immediately jumped out to me was you have m4/3 and no 60 macro. That's the best lens in the system and would be a first choice for me in your shoes, and it's cheap. Many food photos have been from that lens in the New York Times Magazine section. It's up to the task. No qualms.

He is right. If you have m4/3 that will serve at least as well as the Nikon or Canon - especially the GH2 with articulated screen. With fully realized live view combined with their flexible and super accurate autofocus mirrorless cameras are in many ways a better choice for studio use than traditional DSLRs. Sensor size is really not important here, other than smaller sensors have an advantage in DOF. Plus a long-term business plan needs to include video - there is a good chance this will be a business necessity within 2 or 3 years.

It sounds to me as if you are trying to use your planned business to justify gear you WANT rather than NEED.

Do you have a portfolio in place - online, printed or perhaps on an iPad? Do you have a website? Do you have quality printed promo materials such as a postcard or brochure? Do you have access to a food stylist? Do you know chefs you can work with? Can you get a studio with kitchen if you need it?

Do you have a business plan as to what types of food photography you want to do and what kind of clients you are seeking? Restaurants? Caterers? Manufacturers? Retailers?

All that stuff is much more important to your success than which camera body.

Gato

-- hide signature --

"We paint with our brain, not with our hands" -- Michelangelo
Portrait, figure and fantasy photography at Silver Mirage Gallery:
silvermirage.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow