Some thoughts after over a year switching from Canon to Sony...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Amamba
Contributing MemberPosts: 836Gear list
Like?
Some thoughts after over a year switching from Canon to Sony...
2 months ago

I bet many have thousands of unprocessed photos from past years and every now and then you go through them and process a few... I am doing that so I am constantly working with files created with both my Canon DSLRs and Nex.

And my conclusion is... the old, tired and true Canon APS-C sensor is just as good as Sony sensor.

Yes it's noisier in high ISO, but not by a whole lot. Also, the nature of noise is different, don't know how to describe it but it's more pleasing to the eye than Sony noise.

The SOOC Canon colors are definitely more to my liking when it comes to portraits. They seem to be optimized for caucasian skin tones. Sony is colder.

Getting good native glass was also easier with Canon (and cheaper).

Sony wins in DR, portability, ease of use with legacy glass, and video. And portability is the king.

In the end for me it's color output of Canon sensor vs portability of Sony system. Portability wins.

Both systems are capable of producing great photos, but I must admit - if Canon made a real attempt to create a portable mirrorless camera that's actually useful in most situation, has real EVF and fast AF, I would be very tempted to switch... I still love the colors.

Amamba's gear list:Amamba's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +10 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow