Still waiting on 23mm lens, should I change gears and get the 10-24

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,665Gear list
Like?
Re: Still waiting on 23mm lens, should I change gears and get the 10-24
In reply to mjh04, 5 months ago

mjh04 wrote:

I ordered the XF 23mm from Amazon on the last day of the sale and am still waiting as it is backordered. Amazon's site says 1-2 months. I am starting to get a little impatient, but I know if I cancel I will lose the $749 price. I am starting to rethink this strategy and consider going with the 10-24 zoom. If I want to carry a partial kit, I like going out with with the 18-55 and the 14 mm for wide shots with one lens on my X-T1 and the other on the X-E2. I have really enjoyed the 14 mm lens so far. It is probably my most used lens. Once I have the 23, I am not sure if I would leave the 14 home and likely would end up carrying these three lenses all of the time. This might negate any size and weight advantage of the primes. I haven't seen the 10-24 in person, but am a little concerned about the size and weight of the lens. I can read the specs, but until you have it in hand, it is sometimes hard to get a perspective as to how it would feel to carry it around all of the time. I don't want to end up with a kit and have to carry almost as much as I did with the full frame camera. I am also trying to place a value on the f/1.4 speed of the 23 mm lens. I enjoy taking cityscapes at night and pictures around sunset, but those are often times I plan and use a tripod. For any of you with the 23 mm, how useful do you find the 1.4 speed for the type of photos you typically take with a 35mm equivalent lens?

-- hide signature --

Mike Hedge
www.thehedgepost.com

When I bought my X-E1 last year, there were two lenses I wanted to own to go with it: the 14mm and the 23mm. The 14mm was every bit as good as I expected it to be when I got around to buying it a month or two later. In the meantime, the 18-55mm that I bought as a "kit" to get the discount on the lens proved to be better than I expected.

I finally got around to buying the 23mm during the recent instant rebate program. At $200, I also picked up one of the 27mm pancake lenses as well. To my surprise, I find myself opting to carry the 27mm with me and leaving the 23mm behind most of the time when I'm just tooling around town with no specific photography goal in mind that would require the 23mm.

Am I glad I have the 23mm? Definitely.

Would I want to trade my 14mm for the 10-24mm? Definitely, no.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow