Best hardware for mounting a red dot sight?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dave Lively
Senior MemberPosts: 1,375
Like?
Best hardware for mounting a red dot sight?
4 months ago

I just bought a Canon FD 300mm f2.8 L lens to use with my micro four thirds camera.  The lens is sharp enough to be used with a 2x TC, although combined with 2x crop factor that is really pushing the limits.  I have to live with the limitations of manual focus but can easily accept that given the price difference between this lens and the modern auto focus, image stabilized versions.  But the field of view is so small I have a hard time locating the subject.

I am going to try mounting a small red dot style gun sight to make finding the subject easier.  There is a plethora of options available when it comes to the sight itself and since recoil is not going to be an issue I can get by with one of the cheap ones.  But the only hot shoe to Weaver mount adapter I can find is the "Firefield Weaver Camera Adapter" which gets mixed reviews.  The Weaver plate is attached to the hot shoe adapter with a single screw which tends to come loose.

Does anyone know of an alternative method of mounting the sight?  Or a different method of quickly getting a 1200mm equivalent lens on the subject?

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow