Which DSLR for Professional Product and Food Photography - part II

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Toccata47
Senior MemberPosts: 2,189
Like?
Re: Which DSLR for Professional Product and Food Photography - part II
In reply to DCooper, 4 months ago

If I understand correctly you're not yet working and food photograph is aspirational. If this is the case I would highly recommend you focus on polishing your technique to the point that you are able to generate a revenue stream that can be used toward gear down the line.

I apologize if this is not helpful, but many photographers tend to front-load their budget on things that do not offer a large improvement at the expense of things that do. As another poster mentioned, in the studio, lighting trumps all.

Looking at your gear the first thing that immediately jumped out to me was you have m4/3 and no 60 macro. That's the best lens in the system and would be a first choice for me in your shoes, and it's cheap. Many food photos have been from that lens in the New York Times Magazine section. It's up to the task. No qualms.

The second thing was if on a budget, go medium format film till you've earned enough to expand your budget. I realize this is probably not a direction you're interested in but the results can't be argued.

With respect, in studio and at base iso the advantages of FF are lessened. With the right technique and a little extra work, the differences between a d3300 and a d800e can be quite mild indeed.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow