D600 with 24-70 right focus issue

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ormdig
Contributing MemberPosts: 639Gear list
Like?
Re: D600 with 24-70 right focus issue
In reply to DavidChell, 4 months ago

DavidChell wrote:

I took some portrait shots the other day and was disappointed at how soft they were, so I did some investigation, this revealed a soft focus issue when focusing using the far right focus point (see image).

Comparison of left, centre and right points.

Naturally I'll be contacting Nikon service (whom I've had fantastic response from with regard to the oil/dust issue).

I find it particularly annoying having the right focus point faulty, it means I'll have to focus/recompose all the time when shooting in portrait orientation.

Test shots were on a tripod with focus chart stuck to wall, using pan head to use alternate focus points.

ISO 400, 1/80th second, F 2.8.

Any comments regarding the validity of my tests etc are welcome.

Hi, you say you are rotating the camera on a panhead to move the focus points over the target, right? At f/2.8, 70mm your DOF is quite thin and you are placing the sensor at an angle to the (hopefully) flat chart. Not the best for a sharp image.

Besides, the left side is much softer than the other two,

-- hide signature --

Pete

ormdig's gear list:ormdig's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow