Jabs767
Contributing MemberPosts: 853Gear list
Like?
Re: Wollongong Airshow and 600mm lens at crosswind limit
In reply to Lance B, 7 months ago

Lance B wrote:

superb images, great detail!

Thanks Lance.

I was starting to have my doubts about my 600mm as far as sharpness but then I had mainly been using it at shows or events over the longer ranges when there was a bit of heat haze or shimmer which ruined the image when low to the ground. At Wollongong, not only was it windy; very windy, you could hardly stand up let alone hold a 5kg lens up, the air was cold and clear and the D4 AF worked a treat with such sharp images I hardly had to do any USM in post.

The 600mm was tack sharp even on images of the Sabre on the runway where even with only 16mp, I can read the warning decals on the fuselage.

The other surprising thing from the day was how well the VR worked even at 400mm on the 80-400 AF-S. The images were almost completely stable looking through the VF at 400m and consequently it was no problem getting great shots steady or panned even down to 1/200 at 400mm. The VR worked better than on the 500mm.

If it's not still raining in the morning, I'm off to shoot seaplanes at Rose Bay for the Centenary of the first mail and seaplane flight from Rose Bay.

-- hide signature --
 Jabs767's gear list:Jabs767's gear list
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow