ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Finlanders
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
Nikon D3200 as a backup body for weddings advice
2 months ago

Dear Members,

Firstly I'd like to apologise the extensive length of this post. I find it beneficial to explain the whole context of the situation and the path that has taken me to where I am at the moment. An internet forum should never be treated like a vending machine for answers and the length of a first post should respect that.

Secondly I'd like to apologise for making a comparison between Nikon and Canon. Please do not misunderstand -- I love them both. I just happen to love Nikon more -- at the moment. I think they both are marvels of engineering. Besides there aren't too many lenses that could beat the Canon 50mm 1.2L.

My first SLR was a Nikon D70. I bought it new way back when. A nice piece of equipment. However the buffer size of 3 RAW images combined to a moderately long buffer flushing time made me sell it.

Next up was Canon 10D. Lovely. A buffer of 9 RAW images. This camera made me fall in love with the 50mm f/1.8 lens (80mm equivalent). And also with a Tokina tele macro f/2.8. And quite a bit with the 20mm f/2.8.

After a few years I swicthed to a second hand Canon 1Ds mk2. The shutter mechanism begun to malfunction within a week from the purchase (the ominous ERROR 99). This malfunction was more prominent in operating temperatures between +8 - +15 degrees celcius. (I have no experience with this specific camera in operating temperatures below +8 degrees celcius.) Luckily I had purchased it from a reputable vendor. The dear vendor made a (400 euros worth) repair on the camera at no additional cost to me. Phew!

The funny thing is that although the camera was second hand it had just had A SIMILAR SHUTTER AND SHUTTER MECHANISM REPAIR 50000 shots prior to me acquiring the camera.

Everything went fine for about nine months. Then the ERROR 99 malfunction raised it's ugly head once again -- this time with no correlation to operating temperature. For a second there I thought I was royally fricked. The malfunction took place randomly -- sometimes more often than not.

A business was able to strike a deal with me. I gave them my Canon 1Ds mk2 and all my lenses. In return they gave me a second hand Nikon D3x and a couple of Nikkor lenses. Lovely!

Long story short I am inclined to photographing more weddings in the future.

My plan for the setup for weddings is:
 - Nikon D3x (current equipment)
 - Nikon D3200 (NOT YET ACQUIRED)
 - Sigma 35mm f/1.4 A-series (current equipment)
 - Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 AF-D (current equipment)
 - Nikkor 50mm 1.4G AF-S (NOT YET ACQUIRED)

Additionally Nikon speedlites with external battery is included in current equipment. It's a nice combination to shoot with fast prime lenses and bounced flash with a fast recycling time.

The Nikkor 20mm lens is only usable with the D3x.
The 20mm lens is a special one and will only be used for a very limited time during a wedding event.
The Sigma 35mm lens is only practical with the D3x.
The 35mm lens will be used in 50-80% of the shots during a wedding event.
The Nikkor 50mm would be usable with both the D3x and the D3200.

There are two main purposes for the D3200:
 1.) With the 50mm lens (75mm equivalent) it's nice for portraits and candids.
 2.) It's a backup body should the D3x happen to malfunction.

The question is:
Is the Nikon D3200 a sufficient camera body for this planned purpose?
I have not yet purchased it.
I know it's a crippled entry level consumer product.

If cost wasn't an issue I would use a Nikon D800 (or D4) for tele and medium tele photography in wedding events.

At least the D3200 has a buffer of 18 RAW images and decent ISO performance and is very lightweight.

It's a disgrace that both the Nikon D3300 and D7100 only have a buffer of 6 RAW images.

I love the D3x and I'm not switching back to Canon any time soon -- at least for now.

Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS-1Ds Nikon D3200 Nikon D3300 Nikon D3X Nikon D4 Nikon D70 Nikon D7100 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow