Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Meuh
Senior MemberPosts: 2,194Gear list
Like?
k5 AF :(
7 months ago

So lastnight I was covering a party booth for a friend of mine, using a big lasolite hilight with one of his strobes in the back (with a molding lamp) and my sigma 530 super with rogue flash bender to bounce light off the white ceiling and to shove some forward too.

Everything was all set in manual, afs for focus and I should have been good to go right?

Not really, because it was in a pub the lighting was ofc a little dark, that's normally ok as the AF assist lamp on the flash would kick in but as the hilight was light from the inside and behind the subjects the camera seen a lot of light so no AF assist lamp and my k5 was really struggling.. on hindsight I should have turned off the modeling lamp off on the strobe in the hilight but having it on helped draw people towards it.

I ended up using my gf1 with the 20mm f1.7, it didn't need the assist lamp and with its face detect af (that auto focus's when the camera feels ready for me to shoot) it was mostly always ready for me just to press the shutter without having to do much else..

My wife came along a little later and I let her do the party booth stuff with the gf1 while I stuck some manual glass (50mm f1.7, 85mm f2) and my metz flash set to bounce and went around taking images of people enjoying the party.

I guess a k3 would have had np in this situation since it has much better low light af but I'm surprised at how well my 4+ year old (older than my k5) m4/3 camera delt with the situation.

Meuh's gear list:Meuh's gear list
Samsung GX-10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Pentax K-5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +3 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow