Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Dr Bob
Contributing MemberPosts: 767Gear list
Like?
Re: Might be a lot to expect for $1069
In reply to Lance B, 3 months ago

Lance B wrote:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

I will say that is better than anything I've seen from any t.c. shot. Nice work.

Thank you very much, Reilly.

I have to agree with Lance on the improved performance of the 500F4 +1.4Tc over the 80-400G. I shot 20K bird images with the 80-400G until I bought the 500mmF4 a couple of months ago. Since then the 500mm has been glued to the 800E (20K more shots) except for a day last week when I left the 500mm at home for a weekend away. I took the 80-400g and shot birds for a couple of hours, but realy felt at a disadvantage. The 500mm is a significant improvement and well worth (to me) the $10K it cost. As time goes by, I want to replace every shot on my web site taken with the 80-400G with shots on the 500mm - based on reach (at the same sharpness), lower iso (hence less noise) and overall ooomph! It has taken me 2 months of shooting with the 500mm F4 (and 20k shots) to really understand how to use it and get the best out of it.

On the Tamron, everyone seems to be concentrating on sharpness. I find it very difficult to comment on sharpness for shots posted here as most people dont output sharpen for resized images very well - but what puts me off the Tamron is the poor contrast (to me!) and the very poor bokeh. These comments are based only on images presented on a thread in the wildlife formum on DPR which was live about a month ago - although I cant find it again.

To me, a big part of a bird image is the background (and it's isolation). 500mm F4 makes that happen. The bokeh has to look good. I value each small increment in 'overall improvement' hence happy to have spent a load of money on kit in the last 12 months.

Dr Bob's gear list:Dr Bob's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow