Flat view
Sener
Regular MemberPosts: 139Gear list
Like?
Like the 6D, but hesitations...
2 months ago

Hello,

Former Nikon D700 user.

I had been using a D700 for quite some time when I had to sell it due to financial situations. I now want to get back to the FF territory. I desire to return to my D700, but since there are some new models on the market, I am also in search for a better suited option.

I mainly do street, often in low-ish light. Here is my portfolio for a better look at what I do;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/senerhayat/

I always use AF lenses, and I often choose AF points. I seldom focus and recompose. The D700 worked nicely in this regard, its AF system is good. I also used an Olympus E-M5 and while not as good as the D700, it also worked well for my needs. The X-T1 I used too, not as good as the E-M5, but almost.

Anyway, since second hand D700 prices are a little too high in my city, the Canon 6D, with its small form and lightness, and GPS and Wifi, is intriguing me. GPS and Wifi are not essentials but nice-to-haves for me. The D600 and D610 are second options to the 6D.

But I am not so sure whether its AF system intrigues me as much. I know about the performance of the central AF point but, what about the others? They should work fine in fine light, but in lowlight?

I know the 6D will not be a D700 in the AF department (in AF points other than the center), but is it at least as good as the E-M5 or the X-T1? Because if so, I can manage. Also, does it have micro focus adjustment?

How about the RAW files? I don't know much about the Canon output, since I never used a Canon camera, but I've been hearing that Canon RAWs do not provide as much headroom to play with as Nikon RAWs, especially in dynamic range and shadow lifting.

I've never handled a 6D either. The D700 feels like a mini tank in your hand -maybe sometimes too much for a hobbyist- but certainly feels like a keeper. I don't like D600 or D610 since they feel, just like the D7000, very consumer-ish cameras. How's the 6D in this regard?

Opinions and recommendations appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D600 Nikon D610 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow