Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
J Mountford
Regular MemberPosts: 112Gear list
Like?
New here, need critique and advice
3 months ago

First off, I am 63, retired Been around photography all my adult life Turned pro for a while Had a state of the art B&W darkroom, 4X5 view camera, medium format, pretty much the works. I know exposure inside and out, relying on the Zone System for my B&W artsy fartsy stuff. I've had several one man shows and displays in galleries in San Francisco. My bread and butter was weddings, hardly made a thing off my B&W. Now I just do it for fun.

Enough of the intro.

The image below I kind of like it, not my favorite, I can always find things wrong with all of them.

First off, it was a very contrasty day with the sun high in the sky. The histogram shows a perfect exposure. I shoot in raw to get every ounce of information into a photo, so even if the exposure was off it can still be dialed in. The water color is weird, I got three shades as you can see which was a combination of water depth and clouds.

Second, I worked up the photo in Lightroom after the basic dial in trying like hell to get the blue of the water up of which wasn't much and the yellow grey of the deeper water diminished. That simply did not work, it made it worse. I tried a few different programs to see if that would work but that sucked even more.

Third, I put it into Photoshop CC (the latest and greatest) to change it to B&W and despite all my prodding it just doesn't seem to have any punch. Or is it that I am being to critical? Or does the image just plain suck?

Color version after basic work up in Lightroom

Final cropped and toned B&W image

Thanks in advance for your kind suggestions, feedback and critique.

Jim

-- hide signature --

"Life is so simple, but we insist on making it complicated"
Confucius

J Mountford's gear list:J Mountford's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G Adobe Photoshop CS6 +5 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow