Serious thinking of the Pentax 645 or shall wait? Locked

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
This thread is locked.
The Davinator
Forum ProPosts: 13,376Gear list
Re: Serious thinking of the Pentax 645 or shall wait?
In reply to qianp2k, 7 months ago

qianp2k wrote:

Dave Luttmann wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

Tim Devine wrote:

You could pickup a Sony a7R to tide you over. You'll need an adapter, but at least you can use your existing investment in lenses. The DR bump is quite noticeable, at least over the 5D II I have.

But MF is MF....

-Tim

+1.

To OP:

Unless you absolutely need 50mp and MF, you have some best lenses with such varieties and flexibilities in the world that you don't find in Pentax MF lens's lineup. I am sure Pentax has some very nice prime lenses but it doesn't have TS-E lenses.

Also suggested A7R. All your EF lenses work very well on A7R thru adapter. You will find it's much easier to use your TS-E lenses on A7R than on 5D III thanks to EVF and 7x/14x magnification that you can directly do it in EVF (imagining under bright noon sunlight) without having to toggle between OVF and LV as you'd do in 5D III.

If you really need 50mp, Sony 54 mp FF sensor likely will be announced by next year and will be implemented in A7R II.

tilt shift lens for Pentax 645:

http://www.dvdtechnik.com/?p=res&pn=&cur=usd&id=89&p_t=view&mid=127

Don't believe $715 Ukraine-made TS-E lens can close to Canon 24 TS-E II and 17mm TS-E. Its FF eq 35mm FL is not ideal in landscape also. Not in the same league.

How do you know.....a moment ago you claimed it didn't exist.  Now you're an expert on whether or not it is good?

with the 2stops extra DR over the Canon, and huge resolution advantage....and the benefits of the larger sensor without the 35mm penalty...the Pentax is a landscapers dream. The Canon and Sony aren't in the same league as MF.

You always downplay the difference between FF and APS-C with logic only print to 26x18" you don't see difference, and now you suddenly find big difference, also to 26x18"?

Never said that at all.  Apparently you are confused.

The difference between FF and APS-C on sensor size is bigger than difference between 645Z and FF, 2.34x time bigger in former (864 vs 370 mm2) than 1.68x larger in latter (1452 vs 864 mm2), or 1.0x crop vs 1.5x crop compared to 0.78x crop vs 1.0x crop in all Sony-made sensors with similar QE and DR.

Sorry, it is not.  Seems you are really hung up on your Sony.  The topic is about Canon and the 645Z.  Not sure why you keep talking about your Sony.

Canon high-mega camera is coming and certainly will be more than 36mp. There is a solid rumor of Sony 54mp FF sensor that likely will be unveiled next year and A7R II and Nikon D850 or D900 will implement. I am sure 50mp MF is still better than 50mp FF but with better FF lenses in general, the difference is not that huge, and certainly will less than difference between FF and APS-C sensors with the fact not many lenses natively designed and optimized on APS-C cameras at least in Canon and Nikon lineups.

There is no Canon high MP camera currently.  You don't seem to know anything about MF lenses....so I'll pass on your critique and opinions of them....afterall, you didn't even know a tilt/shift option existed.

It would be a lot easier to simply admit you were not aware of the option instead of launching into long speeches trying to hide it.

nvlass wrote:

Hello to everybody,

Lately I am serious thinking about the Pentax 645 Mark II.

I should say that I never had a MF before so its is a new thing for me.

Right now I have the canon 5d mark iii with 17mm tse, 24mm tse, 24-70mm 2.8 mark II, 70-200mm 2.8 IS mark II, 50mm 1.8, 15mm fishey, plenty of flashes and CamRanger to control the camera from far

As you see I have plenty of 'good' lenses but my mind comes to the dynamic range of the new sensor.

Mostly I shoot landscapes and architecture, architecture for me is something that I love really and I like to take the time to "study" the image.

So what do you think shall I wait until canon brings out something that is comparable with the other sensors regarding dynamic range and megapixels? Or shall I start to find a new home for my equipment and move to the side of Pentax MF

PS I am not a professional but when I am really ready them maybe yes I will start my own business, you can check some images here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/envylight/with/8494916858/

Thank you for your time

Nikos

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NiceNew
TrueNew
trueNew
easyNew
SeeNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow